From its rural beginnings in 1803, the Sycamore area has established and maintained one of the oldest forms of government known in America. Brought from England by the Pilgrims, the Township form of government is believed to date back as far as 890AD. Until well into the 20th century, Sycamore Township's fertile hills and valleys and thick forests served as an agricultural area with a few small communities spread throughout. As the years passed, many of those communities such as Sharonville, Reading, Deer Park, Amberly Village, Blue Ash, Glendale, Montgomery and Evendale gained in population enough to become incorporated cities and withdraw from the township. Several other communities formed in the unincorporated areas of the township in the 1800's, including Rossmoyne, Milldale, Breacon and High Point. After World War II came the explosive growth of two new subdivisions, Kenwood and Dillionvale and the Township's population grew from only a few thousand to well over 20,000 in just a few short years. Since then, the Northern section of Sycamore Township has become home for many companies' national and international headquarters.  As population in these surrounding communities grew, the 80's witnessed a spectacular growth in the Kenwood business area with shopping mall expansions and new office complexes being constructed.

Life in Sycamore Township just isn't what it used to be. Two-hundred years ago, the 7-square miles of present day Township land were nothing but farms and wilderness. Today, Sycamore Township is a thriving community of 20,000 residents and hundreds of businesses with all the advantages of central suburban living and a few more besides.

 

 

*This map is also available for view in our Township lobby